Saturday, May 4, 2013

Day #6 ~ Eating while Sick

The year is 1988. Little 9 year old me is not feeling well. I have a bad cold, a wretched cough, or a fever. I stay home from school. Mom let's me sleep in and then brings me toast with butter on it and a nice tall glass of orange juice. She then sets up blankets and pillows on the couch in the living room in front of the TV so that I can watch cartoons and a slew of game shows. For lunch she brings me a bowl of Campbell's chicken noodle soup, a package of saltine crackers, and some ginger ale. In the afternoon I move into my brother's room (because only soaps are on, we didn't have cable) and lay in his bed playing video games. At 3 o'clock I'm back out at the couch for cartoons. Daddy comes home from work and dotes on me to see if I need anything. That is the LIFE!!! And for dinner?? Mom or Dad runs out, especially for me to get McDonald's chicken nuggets and some french fries....

When I'm sick I want 3 things: Mommy to take care of me, Daddy to check on me, and McDonald's to comfort me...

Since the first two are no longer an option, with my parents being in Heaven and all, McDonald's wins out EVERY time!

The moment I start to not feel 100% I want a Big Mac, large fry, and a huge Coke. Or maybe a 20 piece nuggets, large fry, and a super sized orange drink...No matter what combination, McDonald's is what I require to feel better.

Yesterday was no exception.

During the week I allow myself to have two opportunities to eat food that I adore. This can be anything from double chocolate brownie cake with a scoop of triple chocolate chunk ice cream or a fresh-from-the-bakery canoli with extra cream and chocolate chips on the side.

I only have two rules: It has to be something that I ADORE (you will not find me splurging on the pudding at the local Chinese buffet) and I have to eat enough of it to be satisfied. In other words, I will not get the dessert and take one bite and then beat myself up over it insisting that I shouldn't finish it...BUT, I also don't necessarily finish the entire dessert either. I eat until I feel happy. Whether that's half of it or the whole thing :D

It has worked very well in the past and I'm fairly certain it will work just the same now!


So yesterday, with my bronchitis, I had McDonald's. Some yummy Angus wraps and a med order of awesome fries! And it was GOOOOOD!!!!


Today, despite how it takes all of my energy to walk from my recliner to the bathroom, I am feeling very well in regards to my weight. I miss exercising and running, but I understand that I need to recover fully before heading back out to run. I certainly do NOT want to wind up in the hospital so I will take it S-L-O-W...My outlook for next week is as follows:

-Sunday: rest all day. No church, no lunch with Haines'.

-Mon: If still coughing, no exercise

-Tues: WALK one mile at track

-Wed: 15 min leg lifts, squats, crunches (if I don't get winded)

-Thurs: WALK one mile or more at track

-Fri: Evaluate bronchitis and cough to possibly resume running.


For today I plan to continue to make good choices despite my crazy urge to send Jimmy to McDonald's again!!




No comments:

Post a Comment